Addington Cemetery plan

Historical plan of Addington cemetery showing cemetery layout and plot numbers.

Furthest right hand row showing plots 1680-1683 among others, is closest row running parallel to Selwyn Street.
Note
On right and left side of the cemetery plan some plots not visible due to map deterioration.
Historical Note
The Addington Cemetery was established in 1858 when the Scottish Presbyterians of St Andrew’s Church purchased land for a cemetery in Selwyn Street. Although not the first cemetery in Christchurch, Addington was in fact the first “public” cemetery, “being open to all persons of any religious community” and allowing the performance of any religious service “not contrary to public decency”.

The plots were taken up over a relatively short period of time. The earliest burial is 1858. In 1947 the Christchurch City Council assumed management of the cemetery. By 1980 Addington was made a 'closed cemetery', meaning that no further burials were permitted, with the exception of certain people who owned existing family plots.

"The Addington Cemetery is a small cemetery situated in the heart of a residential area and established in 1858 by the Presbyterian Church of St Andrew’s in reaction to the ‘exclusiveness’ of the Anglican Barbadoes Street cemetery which was at that date the only Cemetery in the City. The Barbadoes Street cemetery was divided into Anglican on the eastern side and dissenters on the western side of Barbadoes Street.
Although it was originally known as the Scotch Cemetery, the Church of St Andrew’s established Addington as a public cemetery open to all denominations.
A considerable number of notable early pioneer families are buried in the cemetery such as the Deans family of Riccarton. Other notables such as suffragist Kate Sheppard, politician Tommy Taylor, artist John Gibb and architect Samuel Farr are buried here."
Conservation Plan Addington Cemetery.

Rights

Christchurch City Council Archives - no known copyright

Licence Text
Under the Copyright Act 1994 in copyright material cannot be copied, shared or reused other than the purpose of fair dealing. The Copyright Act 1994 allows fair dealing with a work for the purposes of research or private study (e.g. school projects or private family research).
Re-use Text

  • Please acknowledge that the image is from the collection of Christchurch City Council archives.

  • If you use an image from our digital collection in any context please acknowledge Christchurch City Libraries as the source, quoting the identifier (file reference). If possible link back to the original.



DigitalNZ Usage
Unknown

Extra fields

UUID
31ba5dbe-8257-45e2-a1a6-6c67804b0242

Sets

This item is not currently included in any sets.