Linwood Cemetery plans
Linwood Cemetery, which was opened in 1884, was the first municipal cemetery of the Christchurch City Council.
In keeping with international trends of the time, the Cemetery was located on the outskirts of the city, bounded by Butterfield Avenue, Hay Street, Buckleys Road and McGregors Road. It was deliberately established where it was thought the population would remain small and the supposed medical problems caused by a cemetery would be limited.
The cemetery is the fifth oldest surviving cemetery to be established in Christchurch and is an historical record of many early Christchurch residents. The nature of the cemetery means that it is thought that there is a wider cross-section of society buried there than at other Christchurch cemeteries and church graveyards of the nineteenth cemetery. It was at one time called Christchurch Cemetery or Sandilands Cemetery.
Linwood Cemetery is the resting place of many ordinary citizens of Christchurch and several notable New Zealanders including Bishop Churchill Julius, the second Anglican Bishop of Christchurch; Thomas John Edmonds and his wife Jane Elizabeth Edmonds of Edmonds Factory fame; and explorer Arthur Dudley Dobson. It has a Jewish section, including graves re-sited from the 19th century Jewish cemetery in Hereford Street.
Although approaching capacity it is still considered an open cemetery.
Permission for commercial reuse must be obtained from the Christchurch City Council Archives. It is the responsibility of the user to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Under the Copyright Act 1994 images cannot be copied, shared or reused other than for the purpose of fair dealing. The Copyright Act 1994 allows fair dealing with a work for the purposes of research or private study (e.g. school projects or private family research).