Armagh Street bridge

The Armagh Street bridge crosses the Avon River and was officially opened in 1883.

Armagh Street bridge
Armagh Street bridge. © Christchurch Star

Although a bridge had been built to cross the Avon River in line with Armagh Street circa 1872-1873, by 1883 the planking and cross bearers had already deteriorated. After reporting on the condition of the bridge to the Christchurch City Council, the City Surveyor, Charles Walkden, submitted his plans for a new bridge in May. By the end of the month Greig and Hunter had been accepted as the contractors.

The bridge was designed with a single span brick arch and featured stone abutments and a cast iron balustrade. It was completed in November and was formally opened by the mayor, John Ruddenklau, on 11 December 1883.

Despite not being on the original tram route which served the city prior to 1954, tracks were laid to make the bridge accessible to the tram tour circuit which opened in 1995.

The bridge suffered damage in the 2010-2011 earthquakes and repairs were carried out by SCIRT in 2014.