Worcester Street bridge
The Worcester Street bridge crosses the Avon River and was officially opened in 1885.
The first bridge to cross the Avon River on Worcester Street, erected in 1851, was a tree with a flattened surface. Suitable only for foot traffic, the bridge was used to reach the Land Office situated on the corner of Worcester Street and Oxford Terrace.
A new footbridge was erected by 1860, however this was washed away by the 4 February 1868 flood. In response to this, the Christchurch City Council oversaw the construction of a single span timber cart bridge which was opened in May 1869.
Construction of a new bridge began in February 1885. Designed in a similar fashion to the Armagh Street bridge, it featured a single arch of 40 feet and concrete foundations. The contractor for the construction of the bridge was Walter Bory Scott. The ironwork for the railings was produced by Scott Brothers Atlas engineering works.
The bridge was completed by the end of 1885 and was opened by mayor, Charles Patridge Hulbert. An inscription on the south west pillar commemorates this.
The bridge continued to provide direct access for motor vehicles until 1993 when it was relegated to pedestrian use only. Despite not being on the original tram route which served the city prior to 1954 the bridge was made accessible to the tram tour circuit in 1995.
The bridge suffered damage during the 2010-2011 earthquakes and repairs were made to the piers and stonework before it reopened.