Church of the Good Shepherd
The Church of the Good Shepherd situated at 42 Phillips Street was an Anglican Church built in 1885.
When Reverend Hannibal James Congdon Gilbert arrived in Phillipstown in 1880, he recognised the need for a new church to accommodate the growing parish. Gilbert, in company with James Bowlker and Lewis Aylwin Carrell, purchased Lot 107 and Lot 108 DP38, which were part of Rural Section 69, in 1881. Together they sold the site to the Church Property Trustees in 1883.
The architect selected, Benjamin Mountfort, designed the church in High Victorian Gothic, using brick as the construction material of choice at a time when brick Anglican churches were rare in New Zealand.
The foundation stone was laid on 28 October 1884. Due to limited resources, the church was built in stages, with the first stage, consisting of the nave and the southern and northern porches, completed in 1885. The church was consecrated on 31 May 1885.
The second stage of construction took place under Reverend Harold Edward Ensor in 1906-1907. This was the addition of the southern transept and the extension of the nave.
During the tenure of Revered C.A. Fraer the chancel was added to the church. The foundation stone for the chancel was laid on 19 May 1929 by Archbishop Julius. The plans were drawn by Roy Lovell-Smith and the construction work was done by Winsor and Grey. The chancel was dedicated on 2 November 1929.
In 1969 the church became the centre for the Anglican Māori Mission.
The bell tower was deemed unsafe by the Christchurch City Council in 1982, but funds from both the council and the Historic Places Trust allowed for strengthening to take place.
Restructuring work, overseen by architect Don Donnithorne, took place in 1985. As part of this restructuring, the interior was divided into worship and meeting areas. A new altar carved by Joe Taiapa was also installed. The original design by Mountfort was finally realised when the northern transept was built during this phase.
In 1985 the church was registered as a Category 1 Historic Place by the Historic Places Trust.
The church was damaged in the 2010-2011 earthquakes and demolished in 2011.