Theosophical Society Hall

Situated at 267 Cambridge Terrace and built in 1926 for the Theosophical Society, the hall remained in use by the society until it was damaged in the 2011 earthquake and subsequently demolished.

271 Cambridge Terrace, Christchurch
271 Cambridge Terrace, Christchurch. Contributor (ctb): Gretchen Ann Tong. No known copyright

Although the Christchurch Lodge of the Theosophical Society had been founded in 1894, the group did not have a formal building in which to hold their meetings. In March 1925, a subcommittee of the lodge met to discuss the construction of a purpose built Theosophical hall.

Money for its construction was donated by Thomas and Jane Edmonds, of Edmonds factory fame, who were sympathetic to the Theosophical Society.

On Sunday 25 July 1926, at 43 minutes past four pm, the foundation stone was laid. The timing was reported to have been in accordance with the hour when the historical Buddha preached his first sermon.

The building was designed in the neo-Georgian architectural style by Cecil W. Wood. Two storeys in height, the building featured columned portico, quoins, multi-pane windows and a hipped roof of slate. Situated at the rear, was a single storey lecture hall. Built by D. Scott and Son, the exterior of the building was brick and plaster.

The building continued in its role as a meeting hall for the Theosophical Society until it was damaged in the 2011 earthquake. It was demolished in 2012.