James Fitzgerald statue

The James Fitzgerald statue, carved by Francis Aubrey Shurrock, stands on Rolleston Avenue and was unveiled in 1939.

Rolleston Avenue
James Fitzgerald statue. Photographer (pht): Cafe Cecil, Contributor (ctb): Cafe Cecil. CC BY-NC-ND 4.0

The statue of James Edward Fitzgerald (1818-1896), who served as the first Canterbury Provincial Superintendent (1853-1857) is situated on Rolleston Avenue opposite the western end of Cashel Street.

The statue was donated to the Domains Board in 1938 by Richard Edward Green (1853-1938). Carved in plaster by Francis Aubrey Shurrock, the model was cast in bronze at the A.B. Burton foundry in Thames Ditton, England. The base of the statue is of Oamaru stone with an inset of Bluff granite. The statue was erected in 1939.