Beth El Synagogue
Beth El synagogue was built to replace the original wooden synagogue on Gloucester Street. The foundation stone was laid on 8 February 1881, and the synagogue was officially consecrated on 15 November 1881. It was demolished in 1987, having the Star of David window removed to be placed in the new synagogue on Durham Street.
Clergy from the Canterbury Hebrew Congregation outside the Gloucester Street Synagogue at a 100th anniversary service. From left, Rabbi A. Astor, Rev H. Kustanowicz, Rev J. Weiman, Mr B. C. Boulton...